Thursday, September 13, 2007

It's been awhile...

Sorry I haven't posted in awhile. I kind of got in trouble tonight at book club for it, so here I am. At least I know somebody reads this, Hi Jennifer!

It has been a little busy around here. I went to Schlitterbahn with the youth group. Good time. Then I had to throw myself this really great pity party. A couple of days long, in fact. Not so good of times. Then I had to get over myself. Then I had this great idea to go to Oklahoma to see Mike's sister over Labor Day since we would have a three day weekend and me working on Saturday mornings makes it hard to make the trip on a normal weekend.

Mike was heading up to Norman already with my brother-in-law to see the OU v. UNT game and I thought why not just drive up and meet him there after the game and go on to Oklahoma City and see his sister's family?

I'll tell you why not. Me + packing up two kids and myself + loading the car + getting two kids ready for bedding down in the car + driving three hours in the car alone at 10:00 at night - Mike = not good. This is one of those times I believed too strongly in my Supermommy capabilities.

Mike left for the game about 11:30 on Saturday. I took the kids to the grocery store, fed them lunch, put them down for a nap. All was going well, so well that I thought I would just go right on ahead and take a nap with them. Mistake #1. I woke up to the sound of a firetruck outside our front door. Crap, our neighbor's birthday party had begun and we were late. I woke Olivia and Thomas up and rushed them out the door for it would have been THE END OF THE WORLD if they had missed even a second with the real life firetruck. The same real life firetruck Olivia had no desire to climb in, touch, or basically even get near. Mistake #2. I then stayed at the birthday party, in zone defense mind you, and proceed to feed my children cupcakes and ice cream at 4:30 in the afternoon. Mistake #3. We schlepped home about 5:15 and, of course, nobody wanted to eat dinner. At this point nothing had been packed, it was 6:30, and Thomas was near hysterical. I sat Olivia down, told her "Mommy is getting a little frustrated and I need you to be my helper." She must have heard the desperation in my voice because she went into perfect child mode. I was somehow able to get two kids bathed, pajammaed, packed and in the car by 9:00. Victory at last, except now I was being asked over and over again why I got frustrated. That's not frustrating at all.


I learned something about myself Labor Day weekend. Zone defense is not my strength after 5 pm. I am MUCH better at man-to-man and I need to realize that when it is 1 on 2 it is best to keep things as simple as possible post sunset. Hey, lesson learned. Supermommy only makes appearances around here when the sun is out. Maybe the moon is her kryptonine??? Something to ponder.

Turned out it was all worth it once we got to Oklahoma (at 12:30 am with Olivia wide awake and ready to play). Olivia is CRAZY about her aunt, uncle and cousin. We had a great time just hanging out, talking, eating really good food I didn't have to make (thanks Trish!) and watching the kids play. I really enjoyed just seeing what life at their house was like without anywhere to go or a holiday to celebrate. We really just hung out.

I have been terrible at recording life on the camera lately, so I only got a few shots at this awesome water park we went to on Sunday.










I think Thomas is looking at the water slide thinking "Just wait until I am tall enough to ride, I will OWN you!"

1 comment:

Carole said...

Thomas is too cute in that picture! Glad y'all had fun once you got there:)